Saturday, March 20, 2010

Education

I aspire to teach political science at a university someday, so discussion about learning is particularly interesting to me. Here's one of my favorite speakers on the subject, Taylor Mali, giving some slam poetry about teaching. I have this piece memorized due to how many times I've seen it.


"Curiosity is the very basis of education, and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly." -Arnold Edinborough

"Instruction begins when you, the teacher, learn from the learner; put yourself in his place so that you may understand... what he learns and the way he understands it." -Soren Kierkegaard

"In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be teachers, and the rest of us would have to settle for something less, because passing civilization along from one generation to the next ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could have. " -Lee Iacocca

No comments:

Post a Comment