Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Literary crushes

While in Guatemala, I spent a good stretch of time in a little used bookstore owned by an American ex-lawyer called Carlos. The fruits of this time, other than some very good conversation, were beat up copies of Locke's treatises on government, and Dostoevsky's The Idiot. I will never stop loving Dostoevsky. Or Prince Myshkin for that matter.
"Gracious me, what a fuss you make!" cried Princess Belokonsky, with annoyance. "You're a good fellow, but you're absurd: someone gives you twopence and you thank him as though he had saved your life. You think it's nice, but let me tell you, it is disgusting."

1 comment:

  1. I love that quote, I feel like I know exactly what Princess Belokonsky is talking about. I have a mighty need to read this book...

    ReplyDelete